Wife, mother, sister, daughter, professional, friend … if you’re a woman, you need to take care of yourself so you can be the very best in all aspects of your life.
Mammograms in St. Louis
All women deserve to live long, healthy lives with the help of proper medical treatment and regular examinations for life-threatening diseases such as breast cancer. An annual mammogram screening can detect breast cancer before it spreads or worsens. Early detection is crucial in providing a patient with successful cancer treatments.
We understand mammograms can feel uncomfortable, especially during your first appointment. Find a doctor who you trust at CareSTL Health. We provide compassionate, holistic healthcare and support to women in St. Louis.
If you are looking for a health center to handle your annual mammograms with the respect and care you deserve, CareSTL Health is here for you.
Breast Cancer Screening with Mammography
Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers for women. A regular breast screening is important not only for women’s health, but also for peace of mind. When breast cancer is detected early, treatments are easier and more successful.
An annual mammogram is recommended for women starting at age 40 and older.
Every year, CareSTL Health celebrates Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October with a Mammography Day. During this day, all women in the St. Louis area are welcome to visit our health center. Activities include:
- Provide breast cancer education
- Encourage women to perform regular breast self- exams
- Provide free mammogram screenings to those eligible for Show Me Healthy Women
- Give prizes and food with the help of community volunteers and our wonderful staff
CareSTL Health is passionate about breast cancer awareness and committed to providing mammograms to all women regardless of socioeconomic status. That’s why we provide the popular program, Show Me Healthy Women (SMHW).
Show Me Healthy Women
Patients may qualify for a free mammogram through the federal and state funded program, SMHW. Since 1992, SMHW has offered free breast and cervical cancer screenings for women who meet certain age, income and insurance guidelines.
As a health center that serves uninsured and underinsured patients in Missouri, CareSTL Health can enroll eligible women in this program. If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment to enroll, contact a women’s health provider at CareSTL Health today.
What to Expect at Your Mammogram Appointments
A mammogram appointment includes a breast screening and x-ray to detect early signs of cancer. An annual mammogram is recommended for women at the age of 40 and older. Women under 40 years-old who may have a family history of breast cancer, need a referral, prescription or order form to make a mammogram appointment.
Before your screening, you can eat and drink whatever you wish. But here a few recommendations to help you prepare for the appointment and feel as comfortable as possible:
- Avoid scheduling the appointment during the week of your period. Breasts can be tender during menstruation and a mammogram screening could feel more painful than normal.
- Wear a two-piece outfit. You will only be asked to undress from the waist up for the exam. Wearing a separate top and bottom allows you to keep clothing on from the waist down.
- Avoid wearing deodorant, lotions, perfume or similar topical products. Any products on or near the chest could show up on the x-ray and make it more difficult for doctors to accurately examine the image.
During your mammogram appointment:
- A mammography technician will do the best they can to make you feel comfortable.
- You will be asked to undress from the waist up.
- One at time, each breast will be placed between two plates and put under the x-ray for a few seconds.
- After the screening, a radiologist will examine the x-ray.
- You should know your results within a few weeks after your appointment.
Schedule an Appointment at our Mammogram Clinic
CareSTL Health understands the importance for every woman to get an annual breast cancer screening. Our team helps each patient through a mammogram screening from scheduling an appointment to delivering accurate results.
For more than 50 years, the CareSTL Health team has been trusted by individuals in the St. Louis area for comprehensive medical care services. We are committed to employing the best healthcare professionals who empower and care for every member of our community.
Contact our office to schedule an appointment today.
|5471 Dr. Martin Luther King Drive|
314.367.5820 Ext 2281
|2425 Whittier Street|
314.371.3100 Ext 6539
|5541 Riverview Boulevard|
314.389.4566 Ext 7454