General Services

Here’s a list of Frequently Asked Questions to help you better understand what to expect while visiting.

A: Yes, CareSTL Health was formerly Myrtle Hilliard Davis Comprehensive Health Centers.  

A: Yes, we have four locations and four school-based sites. Please see our Locations page for addresses and directions.

A: Yes, we do. Call our office at 314.633.6363 for an appointment.

A: Only CareSTL Health providers are allowed to send prescriptions to our pharmacy. If you are not currently a patient and would like to become one, please call our office at 314.633.6363 to make an appointment.

A: Yes, we offer transportation services on a limited basis. For more information, please contact the Eligibility and Enrollment (Outreach) Department at any of our locations or call 314.633.6363 for assistance. 

A: Yes. For more information, please visit our Pharmacy page for hours and locations.

School-Based Health Services

These questions are specific to School-Based Health Services.

A: CareSTL Health is dedicated to increasing the number of access points of care for our community. Our children are our future and it is imperative children are knowledgeable about healthcare and the importance of preventative care. Healthcare services available on site where a child spends the majority of their day, gives them the opportunity to ask questions, receive health education, and immediately address their health care needs.

A: Each partnership with a school district is unique. Therefore services vary based on the need identified by our school partner. CareSTL Health provides well-trained family medicine and pediatric practitioners who can treat students for medical services covering the usual acute care. This includes pink eye, seasonal colds, immunizations, and physicals. Licensed behavioral health providers are also available.

A: Students must have a completed registration packet which includes an “Authorization to Treat a Minor Child” consent form signed by a parent or guardian submitted to the school in order to receive healthcare services. Visit our Locations page for more information regarding our School-Based Health Services.

A: Consent to Treat forms and Registration Packets can be obtained from the school’s office and can be submitted year-round. Parents can turn in Consent Corms and Registration Packets at any time. Both must be on file in order for the child to receive services. Unfortunately, Consent to Treat cannot be accepted verbally.

A: Please visit our Locations page or contact the Director of School-Based Services and Community Partnerships, Jasmine Burris at 314.367.5820 Extension 3153.

We're Here to Help

If you have an emergency requiring immediate medical attention, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.

Have Questions?

Send a non-emergency message via our Patient Portal or visit our FAQ page.